There is much similarity between the requirements for the Cook Grand Challenge Honors Program and the Chancellor’s Honors Program.
With careful planning, most engineering honors students may complete both without much extra effort. Coursework and breadth requirements for the two programs are compared below. The Cook Grand Challenge Honors Program (CGCHP) is somewhat more restrictive in the coursework requirements while the Chancellor’s Honors Program (CHP) is more restrictive in the breadth requirements.
|Honors Writing Sequence||None||ENGL 198 and 298|
|Honors Courses||Six courses:
-4 at 100-200 level
(at least 2 in STEM areas2, ENGL 198 and 298 will count as non-STEM courses)
-2 upper division courses in major
|Five 3-credit courses in addition to the writing sequence3|
|Senior Thesis||None||6-credit Honors thesis or project4|
Cook Grand Challenge Honors Program
Students must have approved experiences in two of the following areas:
- Interdisciplinary Coursework
- Global Experience
One of these must be at an Intermediate level and the other at an Introductory level. More details are here »
Chancellor’s Honor Program
- Students must undertake approved international/intercultural learning to fulfill the Chancellor’s Honors Program graduation requirements (e.g., a study-abroad program, an international research or service experience, intercultural experience, completion of an undergraduate major or minor in a modern foreign language).5
- Students are required to attend at least three honors-approved events each semester and complete 25 hours of documented community service each year.
- Catalog Year 2016 and Forward
- Engineering Fundamentals, Physics, Math, Chemistry, or Biology
- If chosen wisely, most (and possibly all) of these courses would also satisfy the CGCHP requirement.
- The capstone design course sequence that all engineering students complete as seniors will satisfy this requirement provided that the Honors Thesis Project paperwork and a copy of the thesis project is submitted to the CHP office.
- Most of these will also satisfy the Cook Grand Challenge Honors Program Global Experience requirement.